Saturday 23 May 2015

Great Glebe Garage Sale Tips

Having just come back from my first Great Glebe Garage Sale, I'd thought I'd share my experience and a few tips.

My Experience

Many die hard fans will tell you that going early is a MUST. For me, this required waking up at 6 AM (on a Saturday, no less!) I hopped on the #1 OC Transpo bus which dropped me right off at Bank and Glebe. God forbid we drove down there. All the parking spots were already taken by 7AM!



According to the Weather Network, it was -2 degrees with the wind chill. Although it was chilly, I found that it would've been more enjoyable if I had a wide brimmed hat or baseball cap to shield my eyes from the sun.

At about 9 AM, there was noticeably more people.


After roaming around the Glebe for 2 hours, we came upon an ice cream truck. The best part? Ice cream was free! It was just what we needed for an extra energy boost.


After 3.5 hours of strolling up and down the streets of Glebe, we decided it was about time we called it a day.

My haul:



TIPS

So here are a few tips from what I learned after my first Great Glebe Garage Sale...

Before the event:

- The night before the big day, make sure you go to bed early because you're going to need all the energy you have to bargain hunt and haggle.
- Wake up EARLY to ensure that you arrive in the Glebe at 7 AM. Although the event doesn't officially start until 8 AM, plenty of houses will be set up and shoppers will already be in action by 7 AM.
- Eat breakfast! There will be plenty of food trucks at the sale, but who wants to eat a polish sausage for breakfast?
-Check the weather forecast and dress accordingly.

Transportation:

- Do NOT drive. I repeat, do NOT drive. Even if you're lucky enough to find a parking spot, I wish you luck driving out of the Glebe. You will likely be spending more time watching out for shoppes criss crossing across the streets while driving than you would if you were to take public transportation.
- The # 1, #4,  or #7 will take you right into the Glebe.

What to bring:

- Water bottle - because you WILL get dehydrated from all the walking, regardless of how low the temperature is.
- Backpack - This will keep your hands free and ensure a better shopping experience.
- Cash - An obvious one, but you will be surprised at how long the ATM lineups get. Save some time and bring some bills of lower denominations, and lots of coins! I went to the sale with a coin wallet full of quarters and loonies.
-Small snack - If you're a serious shopper and do not want to waste any time lining up for an overpriced hot dog, pack a granola bar or banana to get you through your journey.

What to wear:

- Comfy shoes - This is a given. You will be walking A LOT and comfortable shoes will make that a breeze.
- Sunglasses and hat - UV is especially harmful for your sensitive morning eyes. After 30 minutes, I was wishing I had a baseball cap and a pair of shades to shield my eyes from the sun.
- Weather appropriate clothes - This is pretty obvious but you will be surprised to how little attention some shoppers will pay to this tip. If it's going to rain, wear a water repellent jacket. If it's going to feel like 35 degrees, wear a hat and plenty of sunscreen. Simple as that.

And lastly... have FUN! Even if you're not looking for anything in particular, enjoy the live music and being part of such a great community.



Until next time!

-Capital City Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment